Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 18:37:29 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        Damien Tougas <damien@tougas.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail, DHCP and a Laptop...

>I have just got a laptop, and have been struggling with how to do
>e-mail. I guess the main problem is that I am addicted to Mutt as my
>MUA, but now cannot easily use it because my laptop never has the
>same IP address (in additon to this, it is not always routable). Since
>Mutt relies on Sendmail for relaying, it usually does not work because
>the other mail servers of the world deny relaying from me unless I
>have a valid hostname. I can have a valid hostname if I am on my Cable
>Modem, but if I am behind a NAT box on a non-routable IP address, this
>becomes trickier.
>
>Does this mean that I have to move to a mail client that talks to
>external SMTP servers? (I hope not), or is there some other way
>around this problem? I have been using Mutt on the mail server, but
>the problem with this is that it becomes a pain when I want to attach
>files that are on my laptop. Then I have to open an FTP connection,
>send the file, attache the file... You get the picture.

It sounds like you're misunderstanding the problem here.  All mail
clients use SMTP to talk to mail servers.  And mail servers use SMTP
to talk to each other.  SMTP is SMTP and a mail server receiving a
SMTP connection doesn't know, or for that matter care, whether the
connection is coming from your laptop or one of of aol's big mail
servers.

When a mail server denies relaying it's because you're trying to send
mail to it that is not addressed to any of its customers but to somebody
else's customers.  You need to configure your mail setup to send your
outgoing mail to your own server, which will then deliver it to the
appropriate mail server for each addressee.  If you're travelling around
with your laptop then you need to either a) change your mail setup to
send outgoing mail to the local server on each network you connect to,
or get an account on a network that allows you to roam and still send
outgoing mail throught their server while roaming.  That requires a
special setup on their mail server.

-Mitch