Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 02:22:40 -0500
From:      Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-STABLE <FreeBSD-STABLE@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New kernel with its ATA drivers damages the filesystem

Brandon D. Valentine had the audacity to say:
> On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Jason Garman wrote:
>
> Yeah, this is the same reason I'm hesitant to jump into the Athlon
> world.  The companies that have been backing AMD's chips are just
> horrible at chipsets.  I'd still much prefer a good, solid Intel
> chipset, and for IDE/UDMA definitely a PIIX- series controller.  Too
> bad, because otherwise the Athlon is a nice platform.

I really haven't seen any evidence to show that VIA's chipsets are bad, or even
worse than Intel's. I've been able to depend on my FIC VA503+ for about two
years now with no problems at all. Also, if you read about it, the VIA 133A
chipset for the CuMine/Celeron/PII/PIII performs very well when stacked against
even the 820. A good deal of the trouble you may have encountered with mixing
VIA chipsets with P6-based processors is basically that intel still builds their
processors and chipsets for each other, while VIA can only build chipsets for
the chips that are available. Comparing the performance of the VIA chipset vs.
intel chipsets on the P6 platform is a really bad generalization. Comparing the
earlier P5-based offerings, VIA's was best hands down, even over the intel VX/TX
PIIX solutions. I was very impressed with the KX133 and its reviews. You can
most likely look forward to thier next Athlon offering with anticipation. The
AMD 700-series controllers coming out this summer are supposed to be sweet as
well, especially the SMP-capable 770! Basically saying that VIA is bad at making
P6 chipsets compared to Intel is ENTIRELY TRUE, to a point. Intel basically
designs new chipsets along side their next processor core offering, so of course
they have the best solution for their chips, besides the P6 architecture is
extremely coveted by Intel. Maybe try testing the Athlon with KX133 alongside a
PIII with an 820, you may be pleasantly surprised!

As you probably noticed, I do hate FUD. I figured I'd educate you guys on that,
do remember, VIA came out with the first working DMA66 chipset and it had no
problems. My old 430TX board hated DMA...

--cokane