Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 14:06:05 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        davidgarvan <d.garvan@esatclear.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: project

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 06:09:41PM +0100, davidgarvan wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> i'm doing a project that involves making an operating system in C and
> running it on UNIX, like all lecturers they don't help you 'cos they
> probably don't know the answers themselves, anyhow, i have questions
> such as design a program that verifies that all blocks are either free
> or allocated to an i-node or write the algorithm for the cd command -
> where can i find such info, have you any suggestions,

You can find a lot of information on how things are done in FreeBSD, by
grabbing the sources of FreeBSD, and reading those parts that interest
you.  The sources of FreeBSD are available in various ftp-mirrors.  The
list of mirrors can be found at:
<http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/mirrors-ftp.html>;

* Note that the `cd' command is `internal' to the Unix shell, ie it's
  not a separate executable.  You can find among the sources of FreeBSD
  two different shells, /bin/sh and /bin/csh.  Look at the sources of
  the `bin' collection.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr>
See the headers of this message for my public key fingeprint.