Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 07:24:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        "Shaffer, Gary R" <GARY.R.SHAFFER@saic.com>
Cc:        "'nate@yogotech.com'" <nate@yogotech.com>, "'glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au'" <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to compile JDK 1.2.2

> First question to Greg is: any idea when is a new set of diffs/patches will
> be made available.  I have tried to incorporate the various diffspatches
> floating around on this list but I am having problems getting them to all
> apply/build.....It would be nice if everyone could submit their patches to a
> single person for deconfliction and inclusion into a weekly diff..just my 2
> cents...

I agree with this entirely.  I'd hoped to stick to a weekly release
schedule but got a few days behind last time and am currently a day behind
with this one.  But you get that with volunteer projects :).  Having said
that, I have incorporated the patches folks have sent in and want to
release a new patch set today (my time, not US time).  I doubt I will get
it all done before work, so it will probably be after work.  The
differences will consist almost entirely of the patches people have sent
to the list (thank you all!) but does break the build with gcc 2.7.2.3
(see previous post).  On the positive side, it does get things building
on 4.0 pretty much :).

Please note that I have a major work deadline in two weeks, so I can't
guarantee weekly releases over this time period.

> Also, I do not know if this is possible or not, but I would like to toss it
> into the ring for discussion.
>
> But before I begin, let me put on my pointy Program Management hat...there
> thats better...
>
> What is the possiblility of having one person build and release a binary
> image that can be used by all that want to test but do not what to have to
> continously apply patches and rebuild.  Maybe a protected or https
> connection that can be controlled so that a list of people who have
> downloaded it could be given to Sun or some other method else???

I downloaded the SCSL again yesterday to try and read the fine print.  I'm
not sure what the situation is with regards to binary releases, but I'm not
about to make them before I'm sure that Sun won't get shirty :).

> Because of the company I work for and the day-to-day research I perform, I
> have a vested interest in seeing jdk1.2.2 ported to FreeBSD (gotta help our
> stock price go up...) but I do not really have the time nor patients to
> constantly build/apply patch/rebuild/regression test/on/and/on/and/on....BUT
> I DO WANT TO HELP..

I will definitely grant you that the build cycle is long and so forth.
This slows down the work on it from many angles (sometimes building
individual chunks doesn't cut it and you have to basically rebuild almost
everything).

> It also seems that if everyone (that wanted to) was testing against the same
> binaries we could achieve better and more consistant coverage in our testing
> of the JDK vice everyone rolling their own....
>
> Just my 2 cents worth.....now I must take of this pointy hat they make me
> wear as a PM and go back to being a researcher that gets to do fun and
> wonderful things....

Gary, I definitely agree with the goal of having a binary release.  I'm
certainly looking into the potential technical and legal difficulties which
stand in the way of doing this.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083