Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 19:38:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        redprince@redprince.net
Cc:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in, rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in, giffunip@asme.org, grasshacker@linkfast.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

> At 02:16 14-05-2000 +0530, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> >Communism is about state control and restricting individual freedom --
> >originally in economic matters, like manufacturing and so on, but
> >in practice in everything including speech and expression. The theory
> >is that individuals are selfish so the state has to tell them what to
> >do.
>
> Rahul,
>
> You have some theoretical ideas about Communism, but clearly no direct
> experience. We have no common ground for any further discussion.
>
> Adam

Adam,

	Please read Hannah Arendt's books on totaliarianism.  that was
the system that you lived under in eastern europe regardless of what
the government called it.   nearly every country in the world calls
itself a democracy or a republic these days.  yet i would venture the
the number of democracies or republics does not exceed fifty.

	Egypt is an excellent example of this.   before every
"election", the opposition is outlawed and in part jailed.  once the
"election" is safely concluded, opposition is legallized once again.

jmb