Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 01:16:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org (Arun Sharma)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

> One prime example of this is the Indian state of Kerala, which has
> been ruled by communists within the framework of democracy. The state
> has the highest literacy in the country, no industries because of labor
> problems d and scores very well on most yard sticks of progress.
>
> On the other hand, many the other "capitalist" states in India have
> flourishing industries, but the average man on the street is worse off
> than the one in the communist state.

It is well known that there is severe corruption in India.  There
is much less severe corruption in the US.

As an example, it can take a dozen months and a significant number
of bribes before one can obtain a business license in India.

In New York, arguable one of the most corrupt areas of the US,
the same thing takes four weeks.

In most other areas of the US, it's 2 weeks.

In Singapore, it's the same day.

Corruption and bureaucracy both as up to stunting progress.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.