Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 21:12:25 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help needed with port Makefile

"Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org> added:
> MANCOMPRESSED means that the man page is already compressed when
> installed so the ports-system doesn't need to compress it. If you
> remove that line, the ports-system should compress the man page
> properly.

Ah right, thanks. That fixed it :)

I had looked at bsd.port.mk and interpreted it as meaning the
opposite. Reading it again:

# MANCOMPRESSED - This variable can take values "yes", "no" or
#                 "maybe".  "yes" means manpages are installed
#		  compressed; "no" means they are not; "maybe" means
#		  it changes depending on the value of
#		  NOMANCOMPRESS.  The default is "yes" if USE_IMAKE
#		  is set and NO_INSTALL_MANPAGES is not set, and
#	          "no" otherwise.

I have to say it is ambiguous; it says "are installed compressed", not
that they are already compressed in the tarball. Maybe I should submit
a PR with some re-wording? (OK, if I'd looked at the actual code I
would have seen what it really meant, but that is what the explanatory
comments are for).

Anyway, thanks for your help guys.

--
        ...and on the eighth day God created UNIX