Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 07:16:02 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>, John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.0 - Isa devices not being probed

Doug Rabson wrote:

> > >He is probably talking about their own driver. In that case you have to
> > >add it to /sys/i386/isa/isa_compat.* or bite the bullet and new-busify
> > >it.
[..]
> > isa_compat.h? LOL...what college freshman thought of that? Is it really
> > that difficult to have the prefix_probe() function called based on the
> > config file?
>
> This is just a list of drivers using the legacy apis. Since no new drivers
> will be using those apis, this file will gradualy disappear and certainly
> no new drivers will be added to it.

We originally did it that way to avoid having to do a massive driver API
change at the cutover.  Since all the important drivers are converted
and there are not that many left I took some time and redid it to use a
similar approach that we used on the PCI driver shims.  Now the isa_compat.h
table is gone, but a minor driver API change is required to support it.

Cheers,
-Peter