Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 100 20:33:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
To:        dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: low-cost SCSI cards??

According to David Kelly:
> Gary Kline writes:
> >

> >      Can anyone recommend any low-end SCSI adaptors that would work
> >      with FreeBSD-4.0?   I keep buying newer hardware to fix old
> >      problem and find that the solution is not solution.  Now I'd
> >      like a 2940 clone or whatever...
> >
> >      Suggestions, please!
>
> Symbios '875 based cards (UW, PCI) were about $60 last time I looked.
> The interesting Tekram cards are Symbios based. I have been happy with
> an Asus SC875 (about $110 last time I looked) and a genuine Symbios
> card of forgotten model ($60).

	Thanks for the additional datapoint.  I've forwarded it
	to the engineer who does my hardware stuff.

	I've got an additional question for the list, and excuse me
	if this is an idiot question--I don't keep up to date with
	the PCI standard.   I've asked this on the SuSE list and
	zero replies.

	I've got an Adaptec 29160 adaptor;  I expected it to fit
	right into the motherboad of this server (an older 200MHz.
	128MB board.  No::: there were additional non-PCI like
	connectors on the end of the 29160 card.

	Last week I bought a new PeeCee thinking that it would
	certainly have a slot to fit this 29160, but nope.  The
	card does fit, but the end connectors are not plugged in
	to anything.

	So the question is::  Is there a *new* PCI that takes
	these newer cards??  Any feedback, URL's whatever  will
	be very welcome!

	thanks, y'all....

	gary