Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:13:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joseph Thomas <jpt@networkcs.com>
To:        jgreco@ns.sol.net (Joe Greco)
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HARP and BPF

> So, I was curious if there is any current development on the HARP stuff,
> and if so, might BPF be something that will be supported?
>
> Drives me nuts that I can't tcpdump on my WAN links.  :-)
>
> Thanks,
> --
> ... Joe

> Joe Greco - Systems Administrator			      jgreco@ns.sol.net
> Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/342-4847

	We (the HARP developers) have a list of many things we'd like
to do however, we currently have no funding for any continued HARP
work and is typical of most people, must concentrate on what we are
being paid to do. As such, no, we don't have any plans to do new HARP
work such as BPF.

	That being said, adding BPF at the IP level can be considered
a trivial task... I think literally less than one dozen lines of code.
What's harder, and I admit that I haven't been following the tcpdump
et. al. discussions, is adding ATM support. That is, passing info
such as VPI/VCI so that one could say, decode UNI messages as well
as IP traffic.

	You could take a look at most any if_* driver with BPF and then
look at /usr/src/sys/netatm/ipatm/{ipatm_input.c,ipatm_output.c}.

--
Joseph Thomas                           E/Mail:  jpt@networkcs.com
Network Computing Services, Inc.    	 	 jpt@magic.net

	An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.