Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 23:06:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern uipc_socket.c uipc_socket2.c src/sy

> >  HTTP belongs to userland. We should no more add support to HTTP than we
> >  should add support to the dozens of different userland streaming
> >  protocols in existance.
>
> So we should just not bother squeezing more performance out of the system on
> architectural grounds?

Correct.  If we want performance, how about removing the difference
between kernel and userland.  Why have the overhead of the kernel
vs. userland change, since it causes us to take a big performance hit.

As long as we're at it, we may as well embed all of the video drivers in
the kernel, like NT did.  X should become an embedded part of the
system, since that will also speed up performance again.

There are *LOTS* of performance improvments that can be done.  Since
FreeBSD is used on the internet, let's embed telnet and ftp in the
kernel as well.  We could certainly blow away all benchmarks that people
see.

Nate