Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 23:21:19 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=E9rard_Roudier?= <groudier@club-internet.fr>
Cc:        Alec Wolman <wolman@cs.washington.edu>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: does the sym driver work with the xp1000 pci scsi controller?

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 10:42:19PM +0200, G=E9rard Roudier wrote:
>=20
>=20
> On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Alec Wolman wrote:
>=20
> > The Compaq XP1000 comes with a pci scsi controller that I believe
> > uses a symbios 83C895 chip.  As of 4.0-RELEASE, the HARDWARE.TXT
> > notes clearly state that this compaq scsi controller does not work.
> > However, there have been many fixes to the sym driver since 4.0-RELEA=
SE,
> > and I was wondering if it works now?

4.0R HARDWARE.TXT? The only thing that I wrote in there that faintly appe=
ars
relevant is:

"Expansion:
Don't try to use NCR/Symbios-chip based SCSI adapters in the PCI slots
connected to hose 1. There is a not-yet-found FreeBSD bug that prevents t=
his
from working correctly. Not all VGA cards will work behind the PCI-PCI
bridge (so in slots 4 & 5). Only cards that implement VGA-legacy adressin=
correctly will work. Workaround is to put the VGA card 'before' the bridg=
e."

Where does it say the 83C895 does not work? It says that there are proble=
ms
with NCR/Symbios based cards *ON HOSE 1*. Not that they don't work at all.

The string 83C895 does not even occur in HARDWARE.TXT at all...

> You probably misunderstood my CVS log texts or may-be you were expected=
> chinese version of the logs to also be made available.
> There is no serious bug in the sym driver from March 4.0-RELEASE that
> prevents it from working just fine for the SYM53C895 and probably for
> everything different from the SYM53C1010-66. You may want to let me kno=
> what is unclear for you in the output of `cvs log' since the RELEASE an=
d I
> will try to explain you what the change was intended to do. Btw, if the
> driver had been as broken as you seem to think, for sure flooded with P=
Rs
> I would have been.
>=20
> > If so, does anyone want to build me some boot floppies :-)
> >=20
> > Alec

--=20
Wilko Bulte  	 	http://www.freebsd.org  "Do, or do not. There is no try"