Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 15:36:34 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kblob discussion.

Alfred Perlstein scribbled this message on Jun 19:
> * Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com> [000619 15:10] wrote:
> > > It doesn't bother you at all that cdrom.com can push 100mbit
> > > and support 6000 users on FreeBSD but Joe Average FreeBSD User
> > > can't because the hacks used aren't available?
> >
> > Huh?  What makes you think that cdrom.com uses "special hacks" to get
> > its performance?  Have you actually talked to David Greenman about
> > this lately?
>
> I'm quite sure cdrom.com has at least a kernel address space hack.

didn't dg already commit these fixes to the source tree:
dg          1999/03/11 10:28:47 PST

  Modified files:
    sys/i386/conf        Makefile.i386 kernel.script
    sys/i386/include     pmap.h
  Log:
  Increased kernel virtual address space to 1GB. NOTE: You MUST have fixed
  bootblocks in order to boot the kernel after this! Also note that this
  change breaks BSDI BSD/OS compatibility.
  Also increased default NKPT to 17 so that FreeBSD can boot on machines
  with >=2GB of RAM. Booting on machines with exactly 4GB requires other
  patches, not included.

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.141     +2 -2      src/sys/i386/conf/Makefile.i386
  1.2       +1 -1      src/sys/i386/conf/kernel.script
  1.59      +4 -4      src/sys/i386/include/pmap.h

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 408 975 9651
  Cu Networking