Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 15:57:03 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>
To:        jobs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Yours Truly

(Due to going on vacation, I'll only be able to answer mail intermittently
during the next two weeks.)

This is somewhat brief and cover a select set of what I've experienced
and what my preferences are; I expect the interested parties to know
me from the FreeBSD mailing lists.  Feel free to ask for more
information of any kind (including references, of course.)

Due to circumstances at my present job (which I cannot discuss in
public beyond saying that it does not involve dissatisfaction with me)
I am looking for alternative employment.

I'm a 25 year old programmer, having programmed since early 1983.  I've worked
for:

1993 - 1996 Funcom
        Programming tools for games and games while we grew from 7 to 130
        employees, becoming the largest independent games developer in the
        world.

1996 - 1997 DiMaga
        This was a games development company I started along with 11 of my
        previous coworkers.  I left after a merger I strongly disagreed with
	(and had voted against).  I worked on infrastructure (implementing the
	higher levels of our 3D engine, doing part of the optimization of our
	core 3D display system, part of the design for the game logic system,
	and functioning as a sysadmin for our FreeBSD and Windows machines.)

1997 - present  Yes Interactive
	Various net-related development (Yes has not had any easily
	described business model), including ISDN driver development,
	creating a Lispish language for web content display,
	developing various web sites (built on standard and specially
	developed database solutions), and developing a cluster system
	for web hosting farms.  I've also done some of the system
	administration (including acting as the CVS meister.)

I don't really consider particular languages relevant in a skillset -
if a programmer know the underlying paradigms, (s)he should be able to
pick up a new language inside very few days.  I've done commercial
programming in a variety of languages (assembler, C, C++, Java, and
Perl, to mention the most prominent ones) and actively use the OOP and
programming-by-contract paradigms when programming, somewhat
independent of langauge (though languages with support for them of
course make it easier, and make the paradigms more pervasive.)  I
know, but do not usually use, the functional (ML/Haskell/Lisp) and
constraints-based (Prolog) paradigms.

I work most efficiently in an environment with clear short-term
expectations and interaction with project leaders; in an environment
where expectations are long-term I get distracted and work it in by
unpaid overtime, which lead to wear-down and lowered overall
efficiency.  In a close interaction loop I am highly efficient as an
implementor.

My preferred work situation is one where I am part of both the design
and implementation team for a solution, but do not do the design
alone.

I am weak in the area of writing reports.  Without further training, I
would not feel comfortable in a position where this is a significant
part of the work expected.

I consider myself more of a follower than a leader, but tend to take
the leadership role if nobody else step up to it (especially in
meetings, but also somewhat overall.)  I'd prefer not to have a
position with mixed leadership and intense implementation duties, as
this tend to lead to priority conflicts which I do not feel
comfortable with.

I'd prefer FreeBSD-related work, but I am not averse to proprietary or
other open source work.  I hope to avoid Windows as my primary work
environment, but can tolerate it if other sides of the position are
really good.

My main is increase of skillbase; I want to be the best
programmer/designer I can be.

I am pragmatic with regards to solutions; I'd rather have a solution
that works in a business context than a "perfect" solution that does
not (usually due to cost/time constraints.)

I'm a norwegian citizen, but relocatable (without paperwork inside
Europe, with paperwork outside), and able to work immediately in an
english or scandinavian language environment.  I have also known
german well enough to do so, but have not used that actively for the
last 8 years.

Eivind.

with "unsubscribe freebsd-jobs" in the body of the message