Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 02:09:17 -0700
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@freebsd.org>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Thomas Gellekum <tg@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc.shutdown

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 11:19:06PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 05:44:33PM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > I have previously implemented /etc/shutdown.d and /usr/local/etc/shutdown.d
> > to avoid the confusion about what happens when /etc/rc.shutdown
> > calls "/usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh stop" and the old apache.sh doesn't
> > check $1 and starts up instead.
>
> I'd rather make "stop" required in ports and call with it in current.
> Then a 'HEADS UP' to -current.  The added functionally is just too nice
> not to have.

The problem is not for ports, many people have hand-made local scripts in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d which knows nothing about start/stop. I prefer
/usr/local/etc/shutdown.d for programs which require it than damaging many
systems at once by restarting local scripts on shutdown.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.pp.ru>