Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 14:38:32 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ftp server with snapshots of FreeBSD-stable available ?

Hi !

I'd like to have a FreeBSD-stable installation CD.

For -current I know the URL ftp://current.freebsd.org,
something like ftp://stable.freebsd.org would be fine but isn't
available in DNS namespace ...
Is perhaps somebody other offering this (in my opineon useful) service ?

If we doesn't offer this service, maybe sombody could pick up this
idea to setup something like stable.freesbsd.org ...

Since its the stable branch, where not so many changes occurr,
we could reduce the load in this server by providing snapshots
on a weekly basis and only keep the last 8 SNAP releases ....

Why I ask ... I'm running -current and am not able, to produce
a 4.0-STABLE snapshot for my company server ...

In the past a make release to build 4.0-STABLE from a 5.0-current
system failed and now I tried performing a make buildworld and
this fails duing build of perl manpages.

Is it possible/supported, to build a -STABLE release from a -current
release ? If yes, who succeded in doing this, I'd like to contact
you in e-mail and what's the recommendeed method ?

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm                               http://people.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
                                     http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html