Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:55:52 +0200
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   removal of kvtop() on i386

[reposting to -arch, where it is better]

Hello!

I recently wanted to port the if_ed driver to alpha.
FreeBSD/alpha still misses kvtop(), so I implemented it.

However, bde told me, that the whole function kvtop() is wrong, since
"0" is a legitimate physical address and therefore the panic is
misplaced.

That means, kvtop() is obsolete.

Before I continue porting the driver, I'd like to have this issue
resolved.

Please take a look at this (kinda old) patch:

- Remove pmap_kextract from pmap.h for alpha and add it to pmap.c
- remove pmap_kextract from vm_machdep.c for i386 and add it to pmap.c

- change all kvtop() to pmap_kextract() in the src.

http://people.freebsd.org/~alex/remove-kvtop.diff

I received no further comments about this patch from bde, and dillon
didn't answer to an email concerning this.

Alex
--
cat: /home/alex/.sig: No such file or directory

----- End forwarded message -----

--
cat: /home/alex/.sig: No such file or directory