Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 21:09:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Stanaford <rsstan@yahoo.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nlist - REHASH

--- Tom <tom@uniserve.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Richard Stanaford wrote:

>   The usual problem is that you install a new kernel, but not the rest of
> the world.  If that is indead what you've done, fix that first before
> worrying about anythig else.
>
> Tom

I did say this happened after going STABLE, which implies that I did rebuild
the world.  For sake of clarity, the procedure I followed was..

cvsup
cd /usr/src
make cleandir
make buildworld
hacked /sys/i386/conf/NEBULA from GENERIC
make buildkernel KERNEL=NEBULA
make installkernel KERNEL=NEBULA
cd /
chflags noschg kernel
chflags noschg NEBULA
mv kernel kernel.orig
mv NEBULA kernel
chflags schg kernel
reboot to single user
make installworld
mergemaster
cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV all
reboot multuser
top: nlist failed

All of this completed yesterday with no difficulty.

Now...  is it preferred to apply the patches or mess with the loader?  If the
loader is the problem, what needs to be done?

-Richard