Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:00:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Steve Jorgensen <steve@khoral.com>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound on Dell Inspiron 5000

> I am trying to make sound work on Dell Inspiron 5000 with FreeBSD
> 4.0-release.  The dmesg displays:

> chip2: <ESS Technology Maestro 2E Audio Controller> port 0x1400 - 0x14ff
> irq 5 at device 8.0 on pci0.

> I put the following in the configuration file:

> device pcm
> device pcm0 at isa? port 0x1400 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15

> I use mp3blaster to play a mp3 file.  It says fail to open device file.

> Thanks for any help.

	This isn't supported yet under the pcm sound drivers, though
	rumor has it someone is working on it.	However, the OSS driver
	at http://www.opensound.com has a driver for 4.x that supports
	the Maestro chip set.  It will cost you money to get a license
	for it, but they have a demo that lets you use the driver for
	3 hours at a time.  The license is about $30, if I remember right.

	I've notice that it doesn't seem to work very well with the
	linux emulator:  realplayer was choppy and sound dropped out a
	lot, and vmware crashed the machine when I enabled sound in the
	emulator.  However, it does play mp3's very well using mpg123.
	For me at least, thirty bucks was worth it for some sound support
	as opposed to none. :^)

						Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com	 steve@spukhaus.com