Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 05:00:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/20205: FreeBSD 4 will not install on a Compaq Proliant ML370

The following reply was made to PR misc/20205; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To: dhandcoc@jupitersgaming.com.au
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 13:52:42 +0200

 On Wed, 26 Jul 2000 20:26:21 MST, dhandcoc@jupitersgaming.com.au wrote:

 > Standard installation fails.  Depending on what I try, the kernel will
 > either fail to be recognised, or a System Halted message will be displayed.

 More detail on both of those conditions would be good.  Could you copy
 down exactly what is displayed on screen?

 There are _loads_ of questions and answers about these Proliant machines
 in the FreeBSD questions archives.  It seems that the ones that tend to
 get answered are the ones with a detailed description of the hardware
 and dmesg(8) output.

 > If I run Fixit from CDROM 2, I can mount the RAID (/dev/ridad0)

 Since you seem to be able to get as far as Fixit, you're obviously able
 to boot a kernel.  If you could send the output of the dmesg(8) command
 (which shows the kernel boot probe messages), that'd be very helpful.

 > and I have tried placing different kernels I have compiled on another
 > machine onto the compaq, but nothing has worked.

 The more detail about exactly _what_ kernel configurations you've tried
 and exactly what output you get from them which indicates that they're
 not working, the better your chances of getting someone with a clue
 interested. :-)

 Make sure that your feedback is copied to
 <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org> and preserves this subject line.

 Ciao,
 Sheldon.