Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 08:24:15 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Steve Jorgensen <steve@khoral.com>
To:        Edward Wolpert <wolpert@methodsystems.com>
Cc:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound card setup: ESS Maestro-2E on fujitsu lifebook e-seris

> On 30-Jul-00 Sean O'Connell wrote:
> > This chip is not officially supported under newpcm.  There is a
> > "mixer-only" (cd audio) driver available from
> >
> > http://www.hut.fi/~will/freebsd-essm2-mixer.tar.gz

> But won't support, say, xmms? Damm...

> > The other alternative is to use the OSS driver for FreeBSD4.  It is
> > available from
> >
> > http://www.opensound.com/freebsd.html

> Checked it out... opensound? They shouldn't call it open...   charging
> money for 'open' software?

> I'm going to see if I can work on the driver...

	It does work, though vmware crashes the machine when
	trying to us it, and the linux realplayer is choppy.
	I'm not sure whether or not it's the linux emulater
	having a problem with it, or it just isn't very
	good support for the Maestro chip.  The program
	mpg123 seems to work fine though.

					Steve

Steven Jorgensen      steve@khoral.com	 steve@spukhaus.com