Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:19:46 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Joe.Warner@smed.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape Device not recognized/not configured

On Monday,  7 August 2000 at 17:08:38 -0600, Joe.Warner@smed.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   In an effort to start backing up my file systems, I've installed an
> Adaptec 2944 Ultra SCSI adapter and an Exabyte EXB-8505DT (8mm/5gb) tape
> drive.  I've compiled support for the SCSI adapter into my kernel and after
> rebooting, my system recognized it but for some reason, I can't access the
> tape drive.  If I try to format a tape or create and send a tar archive to
> it, I just get the message "device not configured".

I suspect you're misunderstanding something here.  You don't format
8mm tape.

> The information in my books and The FreeBSD Handbook indicated that
> all SCSI controllers use the same set of /dev entries, so you don't
> need to create them.  I've tried accessing my tape drive via the
> device listings /dev/nrsa0 and /dev/rsa0 and nothing works.  Am I
> trying to use the wrong device?

Not so far.

> Is there something else I need to compile into my kernel?

No.

> Any help or information on this would be appreciated.

OK, let's see the relevant parts of your dmesg output (where it
detects the tape) and the exact commands you're entering.  Note also
that you'll get a "device not configured" error if there is no tape in
the drive.

Greg