Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 21:33:31 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Cc:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TAB vs 8. Spaces (was Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/books/faq book.sgml)

On Wed 2000-08-09 (21:20), Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> >> [2 spaces, 4 spaces, 6 spaces, TAB, TAB + 2spaces, ...]
>
> >      Yes, this is the (correct) rule, unlike various horribly broken PC
> > editors and IDEs.  A tab character is supposed to go to the next
> > 8-character column boundary.
>
> That's the way I'd use spaces and TABs in every document that's not an SGML
> source for the F(G)DP. The FDP primer and the examples in it don't use
> TABs and the section about indentation talks about adding/removing 2
> spaces for every indentation level.

Er, yes, it does use tabs.  Go to line 67 of fdp-primer/book.sgml.  Not
that's a tab, not 8 spaces.

> The sample settings for vim (doc/share/sgml/vim) enforce "spaces only"
> for .sgml/.html/.ent-files.

No, they don't.  They're based on settings I sent to Jeroen, and which I
use myself.

In short, ts=8 sw=2 sts=2: tabstop at 8 spaces, but insert soft-tabstops
of 2 spaces when you press tab, and shift width two at a time (with <<
and >>).

> These contradicting signals are one of the main reasons for my question.

I think this is a documentation problem. *grin*

Maybe the best thing to do is to document that that is how things work.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems