Date:      Wed, 16 Aug 2000 09:20:09 -0700
From:      Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
To:        Peter Losher <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quantum Snap Server and FreeBSD?

On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 06:14:34PM -0700, Peter Losher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been looking at various NAS File Servers over the past couple of
> weeks (ranging from NetApp Filers to Auspex's) as well as basic RAID
> solutions.  I came across both the Snap Server 4000 from Quantum, and the
> Maxtor MaxAttach NAS 400 in my search, and I wanted to ask the FreeBSD
> community at large to see if they have had any experiences using either of
> these products. (Both accessible via NFS and SMB)  We plan on deploying
> one of these products in a mostly mixed Net\FreeBSD server environment (as
> well as a smattering of legacy Sun/SGI/HP/AIX systems mixed in for "fun")
>
> Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
>
> Best Wishes - Peter
> --
> Peter Losher   				      <Peter.Losher@nominum.com>

I bought a Quantum Snap Server 4000. I'm not overly thrilled with it,
although it does perform exactly as advertised. The problem is that it
it doesn't support normal unix permissions, and it runs NFS version 2.
This means that it doesn't integrate very well with my unix network.
(Plus it requires that you run Windows (ugh!) to completely manage it,
although a lot of the management can be done through the web
interface.)

However, if you just want NAS for Macs, or PCs, or NFS scratch storage,
then it should work just fine.

Steve
--