Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 14:11:05 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        m bram <brambostic@yahoo.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about freeBSD vs Unix

> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:44:38 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, m bram wrote:
>
> > Hi. A quick question. Does freeBSD basically emulate a UNIX system. In
> > other words, if I knew how to work under a unix administrator, would I
> > therefore be totally comfortable with a freeBSD system. ARe there majore
> > differences? Thanks for taking the time to read this & respond.
>
> As far as the question you asked goes, FreeBSD _is_ an operating system
> that descends from Berkeley unix. FreeBSD is unix. (as far as I am
> concerned) It does not emulate unix. It cannot legally be called Unix
> owing to trademark issues.

Sort of. In the convoluted path from AT&T to today, the Unix source
code and rights to the name were sold to Novell, now Caldera. Novell
later re-sold the rights to the code base for SCO. As far as I know,
SCO still owns these rights. But the name "UNIX" was given to X/Open
which has adopted a complex standard of what is "UNIX". These go well
beyond Posix.

Any "UNIX like" system may apply to X/Open for the right to use the
"UNIX" name. Compaq has the right to call Tru64 UNIX. Several other
Unix implementations also have the certification, but as far as I
know, all are commercial. (I assume X/Open wants payment for the
certification and the various BSD projects are unlikely to want to
spend money like this.)

> FreeBSD is unix (lower case) but not Unix(tm).

Actually, FreeBSD IS Unix. Just look at the box it comes in (from
Fry's, CompUSA or other retail outlet). The word is clearly placed
right on the front of the box. (The word "FreeBSD" is much harder to
find since the folks at BSDI thought that "Free" could be a negative.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)