Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 09:51:57 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Stephen Krauth <stephenk@stephenk.com>
Cc:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>, vedette@iconnect.co.ke, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.1: Can't compile kernel, even as GENERIC!

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 08:19:58PM -0700, Stephen Krauth wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Kent Stewart wrote:
>
> > If you haven't done a cvsup, you probably should be doing a config and
> > make depend. The build[install]kernel depends on code in /usr/obj that
> > the buildworld creates.
> >
> > Kent
>
> Ah, thank you for that important bit of information.  The handbook makes
> it seem as if the old method won't work under 4.x, but still, I should
> have tried it anyway...

Maybe your copy of the handbook is a bit old, as the latest version
states:

    # cd /usr/src
    # make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
    # make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL

["not" is emphasized]
    If you have not upgraded your source tree in any way (you have not
    run CVSup, CTM, or used anoncvs), then you should use the config,
    make depend, make, make install sequence.

      Warning: If you have upgraded your sources since your last
      kernel build, you must use the make buildkernel method to build
      your kernel. Otherwise, old utilities will be used to build the
      kernel, which will probably fail. Do not use the config/make
      sequence to build your kernel if you have updated the sources!

> Steve K.                              U.F.O. - "For the feeler gauge in you."

		4.4 - The number of the Beastie