Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 20:22:23 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Holidays and other perks of the job [Was: Question about voting]

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 11:55:53AM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > [moved to -chat]
>
> Yeah.  Thought it was already moved.

> > > Some 'Merikan companies lump vacation and sick leave time together.
> > > Here at Cisco it's called "Paid Time Off" (PTO).  We get four weeks of
> > > PTO total...if you're healthy, you can treat it all like vacation time.
> >
> > Jeez, you're joking. The company I work for has what is regarded as
> > low holiday entitlements but I still get 22 days + 8 statutory
> > (Easter, Xmas, New Year and Bank Holidays) and 6 weeks paid sick
> > leave. If you are in a company pension scheme that (sick leave)
> > usually rises to 6 months on full pay followed by 6 months on half
> > pay.
>
> I neglected to mention paid holidays, I forget how many of them there
> are.

What's the difference between "paid holidays" and PTO? Do you mean
"public holidays" like Labour Day, Thanksgiving etc?

> > No wonder that when we set up a subsidiary in the US the people who
> > moved out there wanted UK style employment terms (holiday/sick pay and
> > company cars).
>
> Company cars?!?

Oh yeah, it's something that is pretty much unique to the UK. Even
(relatively) lowly positions on the company ladder get a car as part
of their remuneration package.

It all started in the early-mid '70's when Ted Heath's govt.
implemented strict wage controls (to try and control inflation) and
companies were severely penalized (I forget exactly how) if they gave
pay rises above the stated maximum. this meant that employers couldn't
give large pay rises to encourage staff to stay, or offer bigger pay
rates to attract better staff.

A loophole was discovered in that these limits only applied to pay
(cash) and not other benefits so very quickly companies started
offering company cars in lieu of (bigger) pay rises (previously only
people whose jobs involved lots of travelling, i.e. salesmen, and the
MD got company cars) and, as so often happens, it just snowballed with
lower and lower "ranks" getting company cars (some companies, even
today, also pay for fuel used for private mileage).

Today though things are going the other way. Since well over half the
new cars sold in the UK are company cars the govt. has realized it is
a "cash cow" and tax them to the hilt (you pay a lot more income tax)
so only people who do a serious number of business miles a year
actually benefit. Many companies "buy back" the cars from employees in
return for higher (a few thousand £'s higher) salaries (often giving
them the equivalent of one years pay rise as a lump sum to enable them
to buy their own car)

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie