Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:10:44 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Framebuffer driver?

On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 09:41:52PM +0200, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 16:52 +0300, Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 03:44:14PM +0200, Graham Wheeler wrote:
> > >
> > > [ ... Linux' fb driver (VGA text modes) ... ]
> > >
> > > That feature is the VESA framebuffer driver for the console,
> > > which allows me to run my 800x600 LCD screen as a 100x35
> > > console, with a very readable font (better than any of the
> > > ones I've used on FreeBSD at 80x25). I
> >
> > Have you tried vidcontrol VESA_800x600 or vidcontrol 132x60
> > under FreeBSD?
>
> It does turn on the 800x600 video mode.  But it still leaves the
> ugly 80x25 text mode running in a smallish window, leaving the
> less comfortable to read text font, having a lot of unused border
> space around the actual text screen.  At least that what it does
> here (seen on several notebooks, whenever I get my hands on these
> I have them running FreeBSD for a while -- until they leave and
> are to do some other things:).

Is this not something to do with the fact that LCD screens are digital? All
the Gateway laptops we have at work have 1024x768 screens and when during
booting (NT), when they are still in text mode, the 80x25 "DOS" screen is a
small centred area, just as you describe but if you switch a Command Prompt
window to full screen it does indeed fill the screen.

I would imagine that to fill the screen under FreeBSD you would need to use
one of the VESA_ modes. vidcontrol(1) also has some VESA "text" modes as
well;  VESA_132x25, VESA_132x43, VESA_132x50, VESA_132x60.

--
		4.4 - The number of the Beastie