Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 00:27:43 +1100 (EST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Igor Roboul <igor@raduga.dyndns.org>
Subject:   Diskless boot, NFS etc.

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 10:25:15PM +1100, Paul Jansen
wrote:
> Igor,
> > I have no good news for you sorry.  I am havin
exactly
> the same problem as you.  I don't know what files
need
> to be exported in the rootfs for the diskless
machine.
> All I have in there at the moment is just
/sbin/init.
> Maybe /sbin/init is actually running and we don't
have
> one of it's dependencies available?
> > Can you let me know if you find a solution?
I think I FOUND solution. What is your server and your
diskless?
Problem is that P6 optimized init does not work on K6
:-(
Also if you wish use etherboot, you need copy your
kernel into
/tftpboot
I have tested this. I don't have yet working config,
but I simple
copied kernel to /tftpboot and made "init" like this:
main() { reboot(0); }
I my diskless now constantly reboots!!! :-) That is
very good.
I made 2 mistakes during testing: puts, write etc.
does not work in
"init" even statically linked, because my libs was for
P6. And I have
K6-2 diskless. Now I'm rebuilding world for i386. Then
I'll install it
into /usr/local/Diskless and I hope I'll have working
config :-)

_ _ _ _ _

How do I know if I have a P6 optimised /sbin/init?  I
have a dual celeron (P6) and have it running in SMP
mode and have compiled a kernel that is optimised for
the P6.  I don't know any of the other files were also
optimised.
Can you tell me what I have to export to the diskless
client?  Is there an easy way to do this.  I'm a
newbie when it comes to diskless booting.

I have kernel in /tftpboot, otherwise the diskless
machine wouldn't be booting the kernal would it :)