Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 04:55:23 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: device hints in manpages

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 03:40:38PM +0200, Alexander Langer wrote:
> Hello!
>
> How are we going to document the hints-stuff in manpages?
>
> We have to replace many lines like this:
> .Cd "device ed1 at isa? port 0x300 irq 5 flags 0x4 iosiz 16384 iomem
> 0xd8000"
>
> to something way more appreciate.
>
> Alex

I brought this up at the time was made.  I can't find any of the
e-mail in my archives on the subject.  Searching the mailing list
archives may turn up something.

I think I proposed something like:

.Cd "device ed"
.Cd "hints CONFIG.hints"

.Cd hint.ed.0.at="isa"
.Cd hint.ed.0.port="0x280"
.Cd hint.ed.0.irq="10"
.Cd hint.ed.0.maddr="0xd8000"

etc...

Then there should be a hints(4) manpage to describe the hints file format.
The section 4 man pages that require hints should also xref this
man page.

I thought someone was following up on this, but apparently not.

If you can't locate the message thread in the mailing list archives,
let me know and I can probably dig it up.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mppsystems.com