Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 13:27:48 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <iceberg@pobox.com>
To:        Ciprian Turcanu <cip@deltanet.ro>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I reinstall MBR loader?

> I have installed win95 and FreeBSD. Today I needed to reinstall
> Windows, and my MBR was rewritten. How Can I reinstall FreeBSD
> loader?  I have a FreeBSD (bootable) instalation CD.

This comes up a lot.  The short answer is

  % man boot0cfg

Here's a copy of a (much longer) answer to this question I wrote to
someone else about a month ago:

Boot from the first CD.  Then choose the FIXIT option from
sysinstall.  Insert the second CD when it asks, and jump over to the
fixit shell with <Alt>-<F4>.  From the shell, mount your FreeBSD drive

  # mount /dev/ad0s2 /mnt

or whatever.  Then, you can refresh the MBR with

  # chroot /mnt
  # mount -a
  # /usr/sbin/boot0cfg -Bv ad0

Of course, check boot0cfg(8) for details.  The `mount -a' step is, of
course, unnecessary if your /usr is on the same partition as /.

HTH,
  Lucas