Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2000 09:43:24 +0900
From:      takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp
To:        dest@syd.eastlink.ca, dkelly@mail.hiwaay.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad IDE Drive

In message <200010061919.e96JJLR20684@mail.hiwaay.net>, David Kelly wrote:
>man badsect:
>
>BADSECT(8)              FreeBSD System Manager's Manual             BADSECT(8)
>
>NAME
>     badsect - create files to contain bad sectors
>
>SYNOPSIS
>     badsect bbdir sector ...
>
>DESCRIPTION
>     Badsect makes a file to contain a bad sector....
>[...]
>
>A better solution would be to contact the manufacturer of the IDE drive
>for a utility to internally remap the bad blocks. This kind of thing
>is standardized on SCSI disks but apparently not on IDE.

This tool is broken after block device is disappeared from FreeBSD.
I corrected it,but I don't have code for now.(It is at my desktop computer,
 50km far from here.)
To use this tool,
# dd if=/dev/${DEV} of=/dev/null
(${DEV} is the device where the bad sector exiist)
and if bad secter exist, it stops at the block count of the bad sector.
${AAAA}+0 records in
${AAAA}+0 records out
${BBBB} bytes transferred in ${XX} secs (${YY} bytes/sec)
then use
# badsect /${FS}/BAD ${AAAA}
in singule user mode with the ${FS} mounted.
Then unmount the ${FS} and use fsck.

Takanori Watanabe
Public Key</a>
Key fingerprint =  2C 51 E2 78 2C E1 C5 2D  0F F1 20 A3 11 3A 62 2A