Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:51:38 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>, Matt Rudderham <matt@researcher.com>, ListServer FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, cjclark@reflexnet.net
Subject:   Re: kernel bloat

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 09:53:36AM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:
> Thanks to all for the help...
>
> I've recompiled the kernel, commenting out the lines that
> Crist suggested.  The kernel is now down to 2301673 bytes.
> That's a lot better than 7.1MB.
>
> Can anyone explain why, or is it even significant, when
> Crist compiled it and came up with 1.8MB and my version
> is 2.3MB?  BTW, I'm using 4.1.1-RELEASE, and am not sure
> what Crist is running on.

  [1266:~] uname -a
  FreeBSD 149.211.6.64.reflexcom.com 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #0: Sun Sep 17 16:57:52 PDT 2000     root@149.211.6.64.reflexcom.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CJC-DESKTOP  i386

But the source I used to build the kernel was CVSupped Saturday
morning. I was not worried about a world-kernel sync for this test,
but it doesn't seem like that would make a 500kB difference.

What's in your /etc/make.conf, specifically, COPTFLAGS.