Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2000 19:25:49 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnucash and odd port behavior

On 10/21/00, 2:41:09 AM, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> wrote
regarding Re: gnucash and odd port behavior:

> | The recipe, in short, is: **add** a suitable "date" tag to your
> | ports-supfile, as per the instructions in cvsup(1).

> The '.' tag has worked fine until now.  Why does it need to change?

Actually, it does not :-)

You should use the '.' tag AND a suitable date tag (cf cvsup(1) for
the exact format) for your **first** update operation only. By
"suitable" date I mean a date close to the date of "shipping" of your
ports tree. The operation described above makes sense if you have
reinstalled your ports tree; more precisely, if you have an
*initial* ports tree AND no checkouts file. Your first cvsup operation
will only create a checkouts file.

If you have looked at John Polstra's considerations, you can see the
sense and purpose of the foregoing. You make cvsup check out
(ideally/approximately) what you already have: cvsup writes a
checkouts file describing your collection; which checkouts file allows
cvsup to operate correctly in all subsequent updates (ie no stale
files & C). Needless to say, in all your subsequent updates you will
be using the *normal* supfile.

I have always been "philologically"/paranoidly correct (if not
politically correct :-), and I have never seen stale file problems &
C.

HTH,
Salvo