Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 21:03:03 -0700
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to find out new ports after cvsup

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 02:03:42PM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> Alexander Anderson wrote:
> > Eventually, I would like to set up a cron job to fetch the new ports
> > periodically. I would also like to send myself an email listing all the
> > updates in the ports collection. Is it doable?
>=20
> It depends on what you want to see. You could redirect the output from
> cvsup to a log file. I don't do this on my ports but do it to all of
> my updates to stable. There are some utilities in the cvsup package
> that will convert the log to HTML and you can browse through the
> changes with something that processes HTML. I just happen to use KDE.
> When I convert the cvsup.log to HTML, I add the
> year-month-day-hour-minute to the name. The top part of my upworld
> shell script looks like

I actually came across a script that was posted to the mailing list
some time ago which produces output as such:

--- start output

Ports available: 4004 (last port index update 4 days ago)
Ports installed:   64

The following installed ports should be updated:

Port name            /usr/ports   Installed   Port location
png                  1.0.8_1      1.0.8      /usr/ports/graphics/png
rpm                  3.0.6_3      2.5.6      /usr/ports/misc/rpm

The following ports are installed but are no longer available in /usr/ports
(or now have a different name) and should be considered for deletion:

TekNap-1.2

--- end output

It's a nice little perl script by Thomas Sch=FCrger <thomas@schuerger.com>,
you could mail him for it, I've also put it online for anyone who's
interested in getting it:

http://plaza.v-wave.com/cwasser/ports-updates.pl

I simply cron it every night every my ports cvsup and it reports to
me which ports require updating.

htth,
Chris Wasser.