Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 10:01:38 +0300
From:      Igor Roboul <igor@raduga.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beginners with bsd

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 10:19:40AM +0400, Rino Mardo wrote:
> I concur.  FreeBSD is not for the faint of heart.  You might want to try
> Storm Linux or SuSe 7 which are far, far better than RedHat or Mandrake.
This is not Linux list, but for easy of use I do not recommend both
Storm and RedHat. I never used Mandrake and SuSE (I just cant download SuSE
ISO, because it is not avaliable). I have setup Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop2.4
on my girfriend's PC at home. She has Windows on it too, but can use
Linux for tasks like reading e-mail or browsing.
Caldera's OpenLinux is very easy to install, but FreeBSD is not hard to install
too. GUI installation is not same as "easy" installation.
So, if he does not need working desktop publishing workstation _NOW_ :-), I
still recommend FreeBSD, just wait for 4.2-RELEASE, and ask your friend
to help you.
But, generally, if I talk about friends, it is better install something, for
which you have "live person near you" :-)

--
Igor Roboul, Unix System Administrator & Programmer @ sanatorium "Raduga",
Sochi, Russia