Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:50:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/22676: No man pages for Make.conf or /usr/src/sys/Makefile

The following reply was made to PR docs/22676; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 02:32:25 -0600 (CST)

 Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za> types:
 > On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 13:22:59 CST, Mike Meyer wrote:
 > > Even though I've shown you how to do things so this doesn't make the
 > > stale documentation problem any worse than it already is, and it
 > > improves the accessibility of the documentation?
 > Yup.  However, I do think that my argument is mostly emotional. :-)

 I actually expected that to be the case. Changing someone's mind via
 email is nearly impossible.

 > I have this pretty deep-seated feeling that manpages that document the
 > obvious aren't good.

 I actually agree with that - what you need in those cases is a man
 page pointing out where "the obvious" can be found. For make.conf,
 that information is the comments in /etc/defaults/make.conf, so you
 might as well just maintain the man page as the comments. For
 periodic.conf and rc.conf, that doesn't make as much sense - but we've
 got man pages for those already.

 > However, you can probably just ignore everything I've said, given Nik
 > Clayton's counter argument and the fact that I have nothing to say in
 > answer to it. :-)

 I haven't seen that mail. It's not attached to the PR. Could you tell
 me where it showed up, or possibly forward it to me?

 	Thanx,
 	<mike