Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:00:47 +0100 (MET)
From:      "\"Ulrich_Gruenebaum\"" <grueneba@luzi.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum setup questions

Hi,

I posted this to other lists some days ago, but got
no replies yet. Any comments on the following
are appreciated.

I just set up a 16GB mirrored volume (RAID-1) with
vinum on FreeBSD 4.1.1 using two 16GB harddisks.
Vinum is great and I think I got it to work after
all, but I have still some questions remaining.

By the way, is there a way to get vinum's own
version number out of vinum? This would be helpful
for reference purposes as in this text.

I find the vinum man pages quite clear and
helpful, but I was unsure about how to prepare the
new disks, i.e.  what to do exactly *before*
putting them into the vinum configuration with
"vinum create", and what exactly to do
*afterwards* (when vinum finally provides them as
a single volume).  There was not much help on this
topic from the vinum manpages; is there any
further documentation on this topic available
(except, of course, the manpages dedicated for
"disklabel" and "newfs", which do not cover
aspects of application order)?

To set up the mirrored volume, I tried the
following, based on the "mirror" example from
vinum(8). The two 16GB disks are /dev/da1 and
/dev/da2. Can anyone tell me, whether what I did
is halfways reasonable (for my config file, see
below)?

  1. disklabel -w -r da1 auto
     disklabel -w -r da2 auto
     (to get the new disks labeled initially)

  2. disklabel -e <disk1>
     disklabel -e <disk2>
     (to manually create a vinum partition on both
     disks, see below for "disklabel" output)

  3. vinum: create -v <configfile>
            init -v -w mirror.p0
            init -v -w mirror.p1
            start mirror
            start mirror.p1.s0

  4. newfs -v /dev/vinum/mirror
     (to put a filesystem on the volume)

Doing so, the following problems occured (any
comments appreciated):

In step 3: Before "start mirror.p1.s0" (starting
  the subdisk of the second plex explicitly), the
  first of the plexes was in state "up" (as should
  be), but the second was shown as "faulty", which
  I had not expected (see vinum(4): "faulty: a
  plex which has gone completely down because of
  I/O errors"); vinum(8) (section GOTCHAS) says,
  the state of all newly-created plexes except the
  first would be "stale".  Nevertheless, following
  the "start mirror.p1.s0" command, the subdisk
  was revived and afterwards showed state "up" as
  wanted.

In step 4: vinum(8) and vinum(4) tell to run
  "newfs" on the *raw* volume device,
  e.g. "/dev/vinum/rmirror". There was no such
  device in my case, nor could I find any
  directory named "/dev/rvinum" (as in the example
  directory listing in vinum(4), section OBJECT
  NAMING), instead the only device I found was
  "/dev/vinum/mirror". I tried a "newfs" command
  on it and it seems to work. Nevertheless, I
  don't know what happend exactly doing so and I
  don't feel very well with this. It would be
  helpful if vinum itself could list the created
  volume device name(s) with the "list" command.

The vinum configuration file I used:

  # vinum config file
  drive d1 device /dev/da1a
  drive d2 device /dev/da2a
  volume mirror
    plex org concat
      sd length 0 drive d1
    plex org concat
      sd length 0 drive d2

Output of "disklabel da1" command (same for da2):

  # /dev/da1c:
  type: SCSI
  disk: QUANTUM
  <--snip-->
  8 partitions:
  #      size  offs.  fstype ...
  a: 35861388      0   vinum     # (Cyl. 0-17510*)
  c: 35861388      0  unused     # (Cyl. 0-17510*)

Some suggested man page improvements:

- I didn't find a notice, what the device names of
the volumes are, which I just created, i.e. on
which device I had to run "newfs" and which to
mount finally.  It seems that for the mirror
example a device "/dev/vinum/mirror" was
created. This could be explained in more detail
and the device names perhaps be listed in
section FILES in vinum(8).

- The default location for the vinum logfile
(vinum(8), section "LOG FILE") seems to be
/var/log/vinum_history, not /var/tmp/... . The
logfile should also be mentioned in vinum(8),
section FILES.

- A small subsection and an example in vinum(8)
regarding how and in which order to initialize new
disks before they can be used from vinum
(i.e. "disklabel" command) would be nice; and also
an example of what to do until the new vinum
volume can be mounted anywhere ("newfs" command).
This could be inserted in vinum(8) in section HOW
TO SET UP VINUM.  In my case, I've already
installed some hundreds of gigabytes of diskspace
on Solaris, Linux and Windows systems, but the
procedure for each system differs more or less
completely from the others concerning the tools to
use and the order in which to use them, therefore
I had appreciated some information on this in the
vinum context.

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Cheers
Ulrich