Date:      Mon, 4 Dec 2000 17:17:16 -0500
From:      Shawn Halpenny <malachai@iname.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   misc/23284: locate database does not get rebuilt

>Number:         23284
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       locate database does not get rebuilt
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

FreeBSD nightrain.xelus.com 4.2-STABLE FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE #0: Thu Nov 30 14:50:13 EST 2000     toor@nightrain.xelus.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NIGHTRAIN  i386

Something has changed in /usr/src/usr.bin/locate/locate/updatedb.sh
that causes the weekly building of the locate database to fail.  By
removing the '-s' switch to the find command, I'm able to get it to
work.  AFAIK, it's been like this for a while but this is the first
(small) look I've taken at why it was failing.  Unfortunately, the CVS
repo shows that this file hasn't been touched in 10 months.  Maybe the
problem is actually with 'find'?

>How-To-Repeat:

	Run 'periodic weekly'.
	Note that the resulting /var/db/locate.database is very small.

>Fix:

	Workaround:  Remove '-s' from the find command in
	/usr/libexec/locate.updatedb .