Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 11:11:38 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Carlos Amengual <amengual@healthnet.es>, Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/22086: DMA errors during intensive disk activity on vinum  volume

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 01:08:32PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > I sent Greg a large amount of debug that it took me a week collection
> > with respect to this problem.
> >
> > Did you ever get anywhere with this Greg?  I never got a response from
> > you!
>
> Sorry, I've been swamped.  I've finally taken a look at it.  The first
> reason why I didn't reply earlier was that you attached the info (most
> of which I didn't ask for and didn't need) as a .gz attachment, so I
> couldn't just read it out of my mail reader.

It was big :)  It took almost a day to get the data out of the remote
serial link!

> Looking through now, I find that you end up in remote serial debug in
> unlockrange(), though it's not clear how you got there.  But it's
> clear that this isn't the same problem: the buffer header you looked
> at is perfectly OK.  It's also not the same problem that you described
> in your mail message of 31 October, where bp->b_iodone had been zeroed
> out, along (probably) with some adjoining fields.

It's clear to me that there are either several problems related to the
raid5 code, or some common problem that is triggering these problems.

> IIRC you no longer have access to the machine in question, but if you
> do, I should now be in a position to continue debugging.  Otherwise,
> the good news is that I will be getting more equipment Real Soon Now,
> and should be in a better position to reproduce this problem.

Sigh.  I had a week of time committed to solving this problem, but
I didn't get the help that I needed or requested from you to take
advantage of it so the time frittered away :(.  I'm glad that you're
getting hardware though - my experience is that I wouldn't trust my
home directory to vinum/raid5 currently, which is a shame as you've
obviously put a great deal of time into its implemention.

Can you take a look through the debug output I sent you and see
what the problem was please, so that we can PR it.

Thanks,
Joe
--
Josef Karthauser	[joe@FreeBSD.org, joe@tao.org.uk]
......... FreeBSD: The power to change the world ........