Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 04:42:32 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Patching live kernels

Ok, sometimes we find a bug in a particular release where what's
needed is a function replaced with fixed code.

I'm wondering if it's possible to:

1) look at the kernel symbol table for a particular function in a
   particular object file (static functions would be even better?)
2) replace the first instruction in the function with a jmp to
   our newly loaded code
3) have our newly loaded code be "anonymous" meaning no symbols
   from it enter the kernel symbol namespace (i want to be able to
   re-patch a patched kernel)

Is it possible?

Are there any takers? :)