Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 11:28:14 +0100
From:      Peter Pilsl <pilsl@goldfisch.at>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cant install second nic

I'm a complete newbie to freebsd.
I set up freebsd a few ways ago on a isa-only 486 with 32mb ram and
endless 512MB.

The version is refered as '4.x-stable' by uname and I didnt
figure out yet, how to get a number instead of the 'x'.

In my system are two ne2000-isa-nic's. One was installed fine while
installation (ed0) and now I want to install the second.
I compiled a new kernel with a new line for ed1 added to my configuration-
file, based on the existing ed0-line.
device          ed0     at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
device          ed1     at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

Then I added the assumed parameters for ed1 to  /boot/kernel.conf:
en ed1
po ed1 0x280
ir ed1 5
iom ed1 0xd8000
f ed1 0

(where I took the ed0-lines as model again:
en ed0
po ed0 0x300
ir ed0 10
iom ed0 0xd8000
f ed0 0
)

and finally I changed /etc/rc.conf:
network_interfaces="ed0 ed1 lo0"
ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.10.5  netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_ed1="inet 192.168.10.8  netmask 255.255.255.0"

Then I rebootet and while ed0 is working fine again, there is no sign of
ed1 :-(
It is possible that I did not set the correct parameters in kernel.conf,
but then there should be any error or message regarding ed1 in the boot-
log.

The only sign of ed1 while booting is when kernel.conf is processed:
(excerpt from dmesg)
config> en ed0
config> po ed0 0x300
config> ir ed0 10
config> iom ed0 0xd8000
config> f ed0 0
config> en ed1
config> po ed1 0x280
config> ir ed1 5
config> iom ed1 0xd8000
config> f ed1 0
config> q

but later when configs of ed0 are printed while booting (irq/io again,
mac-address..), there is not a single beep from ed1, so I guess I
missed something in my configuration ....

Another question: when not knowing the parameters for a isa-card, is
there an easier way to test the parameter-configuration than rebooting
and rebooting .... with changing kernel.conf every time ... ?  (In
Linux I used to do this with dynamic module-loading like 'insmod ne.o
parameters', but I couldnt find a proper module in /modules and dont
know how to create/compile/get one)

I didnt find much documentation about all this stuff, especially I
didnt find anything about the options in kernel.conf (for example I
cant imagine what the 'f ed0 0'-line could mean ....)

thanx a lot for your help,
peter

--
mag. peter pilsl