Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:39:50 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        dmaddox@sc.rr.com
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Re: No cable modems??

On Wednesday, 20th December 2000, "Donald J . Maddox" wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 03:18:54PM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 19th December 2000, "Donald J . Maddox" wrote:
>>
>> >... while talking to frmug.org.:
>> ><<< 550 no cable modems here
>> >554 5.0.0 roberto@keltia.freenix.fr... Service unavailable
>>
>> It's a spam reduction move.  I'm surprised hub.freebsd.org accepts your
>> mail!  You should funnel your mail through your ISP's central mail hub.

>I'm not sure I follow this.  Why would I be likely to be a
>spammer just because I use a cable modem?  Not sure what
>you mean about funneling, either.  All my mail does go through
>my ISPs mail gateway.  Apparently they don't rewrite my headers
>and I don't masquerade.  Are you saying that I should?

The idea is that your ISP's mail system can enforce valid return addresses
and similar things.  People who spam often make up what they like and
connect directly from their modem (cable or otherwise) to your inbox.
Removing them from the set of systems that can send you mail reduces the
amount of spam you receive.

I checked the headers in your current message.  I assume that
cae88-102-101.sc.rr.com [24.88.102.101] is a cable modem address,
not your ISP's mail hub.  So, your system is mailing directly to
the world.  My system sends all mail to smtp.pacific.net.au (using
the smart relay host sendmail facility) rather than to the final
recipient.  That is what I mean by funneling through your ISP's
mail hub.

Read http://mail-abuse.org/dul to find out more.

Stephen.