Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 13:24:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@packetdesign.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/24116: libpcap error state not reset in pcap_compile_nopcap()

>Number:         24116
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       libpcap error state not reset in pcap_compile_nopcap()
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:

	FreeBSD -current and 4.2-REL

	When pcap_compile_nopcap() returns an error, subsequent
	compilations of valid input also (incorrectly) return
	an error.

	As a side note, there's no way to get the error string
	when pcap_compile_nopcap() is used because pcap_geterr()
	requires a pcap_t * which you don't have if you're using
	pcap_compile_nopcap(). So a feature request is that
	pcap_geterr() accept NULL as an argument and if so return
	the error from the most recent call to pcap_compile_nopcap().

>How-To-Repeat:

	Run this program:

	#include <stdio.h>
	#include <stdlib.h>
	#include <err.h>
	#include <pcap.h>

	#include <net/ethernet.h>

	static char *tests[] = {
		"pcaptest",
		"tcp dst port 80",
		"udp dst host 1.1.1.1 and tcp port 80",
		"tcp dst port 80",
	};

	int
	main(int ac, char **av)
	{
		struct bpf_program bpf;
		int i, r;

		if (ac < 2) {
			ac = sizeof(tests) / sizeof(*tests);
			av = tests;
		}

		memset(&bpf, 0, sizeof(bpf));
		for (i = 1; i < ac; i++) {
			printf("Compiling \"%s\"\n", av[i]);
			r = pcap_compile_nopcap(ETHER_MAX_LEN - ETHER_HDR_LEN,
			    DLT_RAW, &bpf, av[i], 1, ~0);
			if (r != 0)
				printf("--> Failed\n");
			else
				printf("--> OK\n");
		}

		return (0);
	}

	The third compilation should succeed, but it fails.

>Fix:

	I'm going to work on this one myself but wanted to
	record it as a PR anyway.