Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:46:11 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release/sysinstall disks.c

Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> Well, last time we settled the issue, the consensus was that the
> feature should stop being "waved" at users (e.g. they should not be
> asked) but that an obscure key sequence be added for getting at
> dangerously dedicated mode.

Hmm, well, that works for me too.  I've got a variation that changes
the 'magic' key sequence to be 'F' (all FreeBSD) that isn't on the menu
(just like the '|' wizzard mode).  If you press A, you get a conventional
fdisk table.  If you press 'F', you get asked for DD mode.

> I still have a test machine here, of comparatively modern design,
> which won't install *without* DD mode and I've tried quite a number of
> different geometries for it without success (it's all SCSI, not IDE)
> so DD mode can't go away or not be a conceivable option from
> sysinstall at installation time.  I'm sure I'm also not the only one
> in this boat.  When the libdisk code correctly divines the geometry 10
> out of 10 times and results in a working installation, that's when DD
> mode should be completely and utterly killed.  Until then, it's
> sometimes the only way forward.

Is this a bootblock or geometry issue?  Under RELENG_4 the last I heard
was that there was an unresolved bug with the 1K boot0..

I know of a couple of Intel motherboards that have sufficient bios breakage
that it requires special tweaks, but it is nothing to do with DD mode
or geometry.

> - Jordan

Cheers,
-Peter