Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 18:02:59 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mobile phone technologies (Re: VCD (was Re: cvs commit:

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 03:32:06PM -0800, Robert Clark scribbled:
| On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 04:54:22PM -0600, Michael C . Wu wrote:
| > On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 02:50:18PM -0800, Kris Kennaway scribbled:
| But then again I have no love for DVD video or CD audio either. I think
| both were overly large compromises. (Reaches for a fire extinguisher.)
|
| Both formats do what they intended, but they seemed to have shot low.

I would have preferred a much better way of packaging the media,
such as the MD way of putting things. :)

The data quality is not that much of an improvement.

| > I ask the same questions about why Americans not using
| > GSM but PCS cell phones.  (FYI, the reason for using PCS in the U.S.
| > was a pure political reason, none other than America wanting
| > to "lead" the industry. :) )
|
| I always forget. Which system do people claim is better? I thought
| that GSM was trumpted as a great thing.

GSM is, by design, a much better system.  It does the following:
A. ease of switching phones
B. transporting data via SIM cards
C. Global roaming and identification by the SIM cards
   (Each PCS phone, however, also has an EIN unique id number,
    quite like a NIC's MAC address.)
D. Better transmission technology

I have great hopes on GPRS and 3G cell phones.
In Japan, they already have phones that can do up to 150Kb/s
with built-in video cameras.  They do real video conferencing
at smaller size than that of an Palm Vx or III.

This is where IPv6 comes in handy, just give each phone
an IPv6 address.  And you have a constant stable connection
at DSL/cable speeds.  Who knows, one day, we may even
have chest badges like Star Trek or computers that tie
onto your wrist....