Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:52:31 GMT
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Cloned open support

Hi,

I'm considering having a crack at adding support for cloned opens.
Before I start, I guess I've got two questions:

1.  Is anybody else doing this.

2.  Given that I'll need to change the d_open prototype (and
    thus cdevsw), I'm going to affect every device driver in the
    tree - although only changing the first arg to a (dev_t)
    pointer, making things pretty easy to change and not too
    unexpected for anyone that's written sysv drivers.

    Is it acceptable to simply not support old drivers ?

    I've considered trying to do things so that they're backwards
    compatible, but I think the answer is that it'd be too much
    of a crutch in the future.

Ok, ok, three questions !

3.  Should I ask for review anywhere else besides here ?

Ta.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>