Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:45:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        green@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libc_r badness

In article <200101290419.f0T4Jnf09875@green.dyndns.org>,
Brian F. Feldman <green@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> Tell me, why can't libc_r depend on libc, and what good does libc_r
> do without libc?  And, if libc_r is useless without libc, why can't
> it depend on libc automatically?  I still see the same benefit of
> having libc be modular whether or not libc_r sticks it in the ELF
> library dependency section for its own use.

Those automatic dependencies only work for dynamically-linked
programs.  Statically-linked programs wouldn't be helped by this.

Generally speaking, everything is useless without libc.  Our
now-defunct temporary situation of using libc _or_ libc_r is the only
exception I'm aware of except for special-case stand-alone components
which don't execute in a normal program context.  Since everything
needs libc, it is not recorded as an explicit dependency.  Instead,
the compiler provides it automatically unless you ask it not to with
-nostdlib.

John