Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:52:21 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Conduct Unbecoming a Core Team Member

On Saturday,  3 February 2001 at 22:17:04 -0500, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, David Schwartz wrote:
>
>>> For several weeks now, a Core Team member whom I don't
>>> know personally -- one Peter Wemm -- appears to be engaging
>>> in a practice somewhere between spamming and mail bombing.
>>> Each time I post a message to any mailing list to which
>>> he happens to subscribes (including not only several FreeBSD
>>> lists but also some others), an autoresponder sends a copy
>>> of it back to me with a rude message plus reams of headers
>>> attached. (An example appears below.)
>>
>> 	IMO, regardless of who is doing it or why, autoresponding to posts to a
>> mailing list should be grounds for removal from that mailing list.
>> 	DS
>
> I have agree 100% with both Brett and David.
> That behavior should not be condoned.
>
> Who would be the best person in the FreeBSD organization that we
> should contact? I don't think that person even deserves to be tried
> to be contacted. abuse@freebsd.org or postmaster@freebsd.org
> perhaps?

That's the Core Team's job.  The fact that Peter is a member doesn't
protect him.  FWIW, he's also one of the postmasters.

> I know that many people don't like Brett emails, but as far as I
> know he doesn't mail bomb anybody. Moreover if someone posts on a
> list it is fairly ridiculous to expect only replies of people you
> agree with. And if someone doesn't like his replies they should
> ignore them.. but having an autoresponder.. which is trigered by
> messages from the list... that is insane!

I'd be inclined to agree.  From what I can see, so does Peter.

I don't block any individual myself, though I do send autoresponses to
known spammers.  But I can see how this matter came about: Peter
didn't want any personal mail from Brett, so he put in an
autoresponder.  I think that's legitimate, if maybe a little
heavy-handed.  The problem was that he didn't realise that his
autoresponder would also bounce list mail.  We all make mistakes.

Greg