Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:08:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein)
Cc:        rizzo@aciri.org, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: send problem on udp socket...

> Since this is UDP, I'm not sure much should be done, perhaps
> just document the return value, but honestly since it's _U_DP

exactly -- documenting is the only thing we can do.
There are far too many apps that might break if we
change this behaviour.
Ideally one could add a setsockopt to implement a truly blocking
behaviour on sockets where there is not an explicit underlying flow
control scheme, but flow control info can still be derived by other
means.

> it could just easily fail silently as long as local datagrams
> are allowed to be lossy.

i am not much concerned about this, but rather by the fact that
those apps which want to send as fast as possible have no
better way than looping around a non-blocking call, whereas
it would be much more efficient to pass signals up.

Next life...

	cheers
	luigi